Frequently Asked Questions About MeRT
1. What is Magnetic e-Resonance Therapy (MeRT)?
MeRT is a new, non-invasive, drug-free treatment protocol for neurological conditions. It uses a combination of rTMS (repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation), qEEG (quantitative electroencephalogram), and EKG (electrocardiogram) to build treatments tailored to your unique brain wave patterns.
2. How does MeRT work in treating brain-related conditions?
MeRT includes a proprietary brain wave analysis to identify the exact areas that are not functioning properly or communicating how they should be. Our physicians use this information to develop a personalized and targeted approach to restore healthy brain communication. Gently stimulating these specific locations in the brain can lead to improved function.
3. What conditions can be treated with MeRT?
We can treat a variety of conditions with MeRT, including:
- Cognitive Performance
- Memory Issues and Dementia
- COVID-19 Aftercare
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Stroke Recovery
- Chronic Insomnia
4. How is MeRT different from standard TMS?
TMS has been used for years to treat various neurological conditions. However, standard TMS treatment focuses on one brain area at a specific frequency. MeRT is an advanced form of TMS, as we customize treatment based on a patient’s diagnostics and imaging. We tailor the treatment protocol as to the location, frequency, duration, and amount of power the magnet uses.
5. What research supports the use of MeRT for brain treatment?
MeRT is an innovative and targeted treatment based on robust third-party research published in the most prestigious scientific journals. Numerous studies have shown the effectiveness of MeRT treatment on various conditions, and research is ongoing. Please visit our page to read peer-reviewed published research on EEGs, rTMS, and MeRT.
MeRT Treatment Protocols
6. What does MeRT treatment entail?
The MeRT protocol is a four-step process:
- Evaluation: We perform a qEEG and an EKG to map your brain and measure brain wave frequencies, heart rate, and brain-heart coherence.
- Analysis and Protocol: We review the testing data with a patented scientific approach to develop a customized treatment plan to encourage healthy brain communication.
- Treatment Delivery: You will come in for daily treatment five days weekly. We begin with a two-week assessment period to determine how treatment is working for you, then continue in two-week intervals for the duration of treatment. While comfortably seated, a trained neuro-technician will apply a magnetic coil to a designated location on your head. This device produces a low-intensity magnetic field to induce mild electrical signals in the brain’s targeted areas. However, you will feel no pain — just a mild sensation.
- Progress Evaluation: After each two-week treatment period, we will perform a qEEG and EKG to monitor progress and update your protocol. This ensures we always take the best approach based on your current neurological state.
7. How long does each MeRT treatment session last?
Daily treatment typically takes 30 minutes, with the magnetic stimulation occurring for six to eight seconds every minute. We will ask you to close your eyes during each six-to-eight-second period.
8. How many MeRT sessions will I need for effective treatment?
We recommend six to eight weeks of treatment to achieve optimal success and durability from MeRT. Since each brain is unique, the protocol will differ for each patient based on your brain’s specific qEEG/EKG data and the condition we are treating.
It’s important to note that results are based on strict compliance with our treatment regimens. Results may vary based on the individual patient and are not guaranteed.
Effects of MeRT Treatment
9. What are some benefits of MeRT treatment?
The primary aim of MeRT treatment is functional recovery. While results are individual, common benefits from functional recovery include:
Increased sleep duration
Fewer stress symptoms
Improved concentration and focus
Better mood and emotional stability
Increased attention span
Improved clarity of thought
Decreased cravings (e.g. drugs and alcohol)
Increased ability to adapt to change
Improved self-confidence and self-esteem
10. Are there any side effects associated with MeRT?
From current data on thousands of patients, side effects are few and generally mild. The most commonly reported side effect is a mild tension headache at the stimulation site, which can last 1-2 hours and responds well to over-the-counter pain relievers.
Other possible side effects are hyperactivity, increased agitation, or euphoria. With brain stimulation, there is also a risk of seizures; however, the risk is minimal with MeRT℠ therapy. We also limit the stimulation intensity to further reduce any possible risk of seizure activity.
About the Brain Treatment Center Newport Beach
11. What qualifications do the clinicians administering MeRT have?
Our physicians and scientists are among the world’s leading minds in neuro restoration, with years of experience in MeRT treatment for brain dysfunction.
The Brain Treatment Center Newport Beach is the flagship clinic for MeRT and the first clinic in the world to use MeRT technology. We have treated more than 5,000 patients with MeRT in the past decade.
Dr. Julie Kim, our Medical Director, is the most experienced MeRT clinician in the world. She was asked to use her knowledge and expertise in MeRT to train and support other physicians in this technology and spread the use of MeRT for Wave Neuroscience. In the past four years, she has trained over 100 physicians to understand how to interpret qEEG results and use MeRT.
12. How can I schedule an appointment for a MeRT consultation?
The first step is to call our New Patient Coordinator for a free consultation. She is available to answer your questions, listen to your concerns, and put your mind at ease. She can also help schedule you if you decide to proceed with treatment.
Our New Patient Coordinator is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. You can reach her at (949)-851-3086.
If you prefer, you can fill out a form on our Contact page, and our New Patient Coordinator will contact you.
13. Is remote or online consultation available for MeRT treatment?
Yes. Once you have done your initial testing, your second appointment is a clinical evaluation. You can have this appointment via Telemedicine or in-clinic, whichever you prefer.
Preparing for MeRT Treatment
14. How do I know if I am a suitable candidate for MeRT?
The comprehensive testing and analysis — your first steps in the MeRT protocol — will determine if you are a candidate for treatment. When you come in for your clinical evaluation, you and the clinician will review the results and together decide if you may benefit from treatment.
Absolute contraindications for cortical MeRT treatment:
Vagal nerve stimulator
VP shunt/magnetic intracranial shunts
Deep brain stimulator
Epidural cortical stimulator
Cranial metal fragments (i.e., shrapnel, excluding titanium)
Aneurysm clips, coils, pipelines flow diversion
Pregnant or breastfeeding
Primary brain cancer/metastatic legions in the brain (unless palliative care)
Magnetic dental implants
Implanted cardioverter defibrillators (ICD)
These require closer protocol attention and may or may not disqualify someone from receiving cortical MeRT treatment, depending on the doctor’s discretion and the person’s condition.
History of seizure or seizure disorder
Spinal cord stimulator
Ferrous cortical implants
Magnetic ink tattoo
Bipolar Disorder Type I/II
15. Can I continue my regular activities, like driving and working, during the MeRT treatment period?
Yes, you can continue regular activities during the treatment period. However, you must be able to stay in Newport Beach or the surrounding area for each two-week treatment period.
16. How soon can I expect to see results after starting MeRT treatment?
Every individual’s response to treatment is different. We require every new patient to the clinic to undergo an assessment period. This assessment period enables us to see whether a person would be a candidate for MeRT treatment.
We will take a second qEEG at the end of the assessment period and compare it to the initial qEEG to see if you are responding. You should start to experience changes in how you feel during this time.
We highly advise a total of six weeks of treatment (which includes the assessment period) for optimal and long-lasting results.
17. Are the results from MeRT treatment permanent?
Generally, treatment results can last a lifetime, though some people prefer occasional follow-up treatment as needed. However, each person is different, and protocols may vary. Your provider will regularly schedule follow-up EEGs and meet with you to gauge your progress.
Please note that results and improvements are based on active and strict observation of our regimens. Results may vary based on the individual users and are not guaranteed.
Plus, the results of therapy can vary per individual. In general, the longer the length of MeRT therapy, the longer the changes remain.
18. Can MeRT be used in conjunction with other therapies?
Yes, MeRT can often be used along with other therapies and can help those therapies work more effectively. As the brain starts to function better, you are more able to get results from those therapies.
Insurance and Payment
19. Does insurance cover MeRT treatment?
We are an in-network provider with TRICARE. If you have TRICARE insurance, your policy may provide coverage, depending on your specific situation.
For all other insurance, we are considered out of network and cannot file an insurance claim on your behalf. We can, however, provide you with the paperwork at the end of your treatment, which you can submit to your insurance company to see if they may provide you with any reimbursement.
Unfortunately, we are unable to treat patients who have Medicare or Medicaid.
Currently, rTMS is FDA-cleared for Depression and OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.) For non-FDA-approved treatment, it is not likely that insurance will provide reimbursement for our protocols.
Some patients have reported that they have been able to receive some reimbursement for EEGs or clinical evaluations. But this depends on their health coverage.
20. What payment options are available for MeRT treatment?
We take all major credit cards, including Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
Care Credit is also an option to help finance medical expenses. They typically offer zero-interest financing for 12 months. Usually, when you go to the Care Credit website and apply, they will promptly let you know your approval status.
We hope this has given you answers to some of the questions you’ve had about MeRT treatment at BTC Newport Beach.
For any additional questions, please contact our New Patient Coordinator. She will be happy to help.