K. Anthony Kim, M.D., F.A.A.N.S.
Dr. Kim was born in Athens, Greece to a diplomatic family. During his childhood, he attended schools in Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Nepal, Libya, and South Korea. He is fluent in the Korean language. Dr. Kim graduated from the prestigious Yale University with a Bachelor of Science intensive in Biology and a Bachelor of Arts in music. He also underwent one year of Masters in Musical Arts while at Yale.
He obtained his M.D. at Keck-University of Southern California School of Medicine, graduated with the Highest Distinction, and was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society in 2000. He is a board-certified diplomate of the American Board of Neurological Surgery (ABNS) and a fellow of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (FAANS).
Dr. Kim has been awarded the “Physician of Excellence” designation by the Orange County Medical Association (OCMA) every single year since 2013.
He has been ranked as one of the Top Doctors by the Orange County Medical Association.
Since 2013, Dr. Kim has served as the physician liaison and Chief Medical Officer for applying non-invasive Magnetic e-Resonance Therapy (MeRT) to patients with Traumatic Brain Injury/Concussion and PTSD at NeuroMod Sciences and the Brain Treatment Centers in Newport Beach and San Diego, CA. He has worked with active soldiers as well as veterans to alleviate symptoms of PTSD and Depression.
He seeks to advance non-invasive, non-surgical methods to alleviate symptoms and improve diagnosis in the new realm of neuro-physicians.
Additionally, Dr. Kim is a neurosurgeon with a practice in Mission Viejo in Orange County.
With over 20 years of experience, Dr. Kim is well versed in all forms of spinal hardware and has implanted over 15,000 spinal instrumentation products by 2022. He has been focused on advancing spinal surgery towards higher accuracy and precision with improved patient satisfaction and outcomes.
He has been invited to meetings to speak before the Plenary Session at the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS), the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS), the Western Neurological Society (WNS), the AANS-CNS section of Spine and Peripheral Nerve Disorders (“Spine section”), and the AANS-CNS section of Pediatric Neurosurgery to name a few. He has published in the main neurosurgical journals, Journal of Neurosurgery, the Spine journal, Neurosurgery, and Neurosurgical Focus among others, and has reviewed for Neurosurgery in the field of penetrating trauma and for the International Society for the Advancement of Spinal Surgery (ISAAS).
Education and Training
- Member and fellow: American Association of Neurological Surgeons (F.A.A.N.S.)
- Member: Congress of Neurological Surgeons Member and fellow, American Association of Neurological Surgeons (F.A.A.N.S.)
- Member: Spine section of the CNS-AANS
- Member, Orange County Medical Association 2013 to current
- Diplomate: Board-certification by the American Board of Neurological Surgery (ABNS)
- Spine Fellowship, USC-Affiliated Spine Training Wakefield Hospital/Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide and Canberra, Australia
- New Advances in Artificial Disks and Posterior Dynamic Stabilization of the Spine Matt Mcdonald MD and Justin Pik MD
- Fellowship: Complex and Minimally Invasive Spine, Michael Y. Wang, MD Los Angeles County-University of Southern California, Department of Neurosurgery Los Angeles, California
- Residency and Internship in Neurological Surgery: Los Angeles County- University of Southern California, Department of Neurosurgery, Los Angeles, California
- Residency Pediatric Neurosurgery: Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, Department of Neurosurgery, Los Angeles, California. Division of Pediatric Neurological Surgery.
- Doctor of Medicine, M.D. 2000: University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California.
- Bachelor of Sciences (BS intensive) in Biology & Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music: Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut.
- Stealth / computer-guidance Spine surgery
- Transpedicular approach / Smith-Peterson / Ponte’s osteotomies Scoliosis/deformity
Revision& Failed back syndrome
- Vertebral augmentation/PMMA for instrumentation cervicothoracic junction
- Lumbo-pelvic junction including S2AI spinal cancer
- Minimal invasive spine surgery mini-open deformity correction Pedicle screw instrumentation
- Spinal cord paddle stimulation
- Non-invasive cerebral trans magnetic stimulation
- Awake craniotomies for brain cancer
- Nominated “Best Doctors of Orange County” 2015. Orange County Medical Association (OCMA)
- “Best Doctors of Orange County” 2014. Orange County Medical Association (OCMA)
- “Best Doctors of Orange County” 2013. Orange County Medical Association (OCMA)
- Values in Action 2010, Mission Hospital, Mission Viejo.
• Depuy-Acromed Fellowship Award in Spine, LAC-USC Dept of Neurosurgery
- Graduation with Highest Distinction, USC School of Medicine
• AMA-ERF Medical Achievement Award, USC School of Medicine
• First Prize, Retzius Neuroanatomy Contest, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. • Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, USC School of Medicine
• Dean’s Scholar, Years I, II, III, and IV, USC School of Medicine.
Medtronic Medical Advisor
Prior fellowship and product development 2005-present Prior training of spine representatives, 2004-2006
Brain Treatment Center/USC Ctr NeuroRestoration Newport Beach, CA. 2011 to current
OC and IE chapter, 2012 to current
Royalty for D-planar screws
prior Consulting. Education of surgeons. 2011- 2012
Depuy Spine Consulting, Speaking engagements,
Executive committee Mission Hospital Neuroscience Institute Mission Viejo, CA
2013 to present Trauma: Committee Mission Hospital, Mission Viejo, CA
2007 to present Critical Care Committee Mission Hospital, Mission Viejo, CA
2007 to present Perioperative committee, Mission Hospital 2013